Apply for Job
Please submit completed application, cover letter, and resume here, or mail to:PO Box 700
Hockessin, DE 19707
Opportunity Type: Part-Time Position, Saturdays & Wednesdays, May–October Only
Coverdale Farm Preserve, Greenville, DE
Delaware Nature Society has spent over 50 years connecting people to nature with diverse environmental programs and services. As one of the most well respected environmental organizations in the region, we envision a healthy and sustainable environment for all plants, animals, and people living in our region. Our mission is to connect people with the natural world to improve our environment through education, advocacy, and conservation. Working state-wide in Delaware and the surrounding region, we operate four sites where people experience nature in unique hands-on ways reaching thousands of visitors each year.
Delaware Nature Society aspires to be inclusive multicultural organization that celebrates the rich dimensions of diversity such as race, ethnicity, gender identity, sexual orientation, socio-economic status, age, physical abilities, religious and political beliefs. Diversity creates an awareness of and acknowledges respect for differences and translates into understanding and valuing each other’s perspective. We are committed to building a diverse team and strongly encourage all qualified professionals to apply.
Flexible, seasonal position that shares the multiple functions of the Wednesday and Saturday visitation program (May – October). Welcome and assist guests, interpret seasonal happenings, lead and/or support farm activities & programs; operate point-of-sale, assist in CSA share distribution, ensure visitor safety. Shares the story of Coverdale Farm Preserve and promotes involvement through programs, events, and CSA membership. Promotes membership & involvement in Delaware Nature Society.
Supervisor: Coverdale Farm Education Coordinator
Additional Sources of Assistance:
- Coverdale Farm Preserve Manager
- Coverdale Farm Preserve CSA Farmer
- Coverdale Farm Preserve Farm Steward
- Coverdale Farm Preserve Farm & Grounds Crew
- Welcome Barn, Interpretation, Programs, and Special Activities:performs open and closing activities in welcome barn, greets visitors, provides orientation to site & etiquette, daily happenings; maintains attractive, clean & organized welcome area; works admission sales, food product sales, non-food product sales, assists with end-of-day reporting as needed. assist with the set-up & break-down of scheduled themed activities or programs; assists with pre-activity preparations as needed; leads visitors through routine & scheduled activities; encourage visitor engagement in programs & assists them as needed; work with core staff to develop opportunities as requested.
- Farmstead: complete all set-up & break-down tasks including signage, preparation for animal & garden chores, hand-washing stations; lead visitors through animal and garden chores & activities; maintains safe experience for visitors & livestock.
- CSA Distribution & Produce Sales: greet CSA members and visitors, provide overview to daily produce, pick-your-own offerings, and local food products, assists csa members to pick-up process as needed; maintain attractive and clean farm market style produce & local product display; operate Square point-of-sale for goods sold; other related tasks as requested.
- Customer Service Experience
- Teaching experience or experience working with children
- Strong communication skills
- Knowledge of regenerative farming practices, livestock, honeybees, vegetable gardening, natural history
- Knowledge of Delaware Nature Society & Coverdale Farm Preserve
- Self starter that enjoys interacting with the public. Ability to work independently and as a member of a team with a diverse group of people
- Physical endurance, ability to lift 25 – 50 pounds
- Ability to work in heat and sun