Opportunity Type: Seasonal/Part-Time/Hourly
Coverdale Farm Preserve, Greenville, DE
Delaware Nature Society has spent over 50 years connecting people to nature with diverse environmental programs and services. As one of the most well respected environmental organizations in the region, we envision a healthy and sustainable environment for all plants, animals, and people living in our region. Our mission is to connect people with the natural world to improve our environment through education, advocacy, and conservation. Working state-wide in Delaware and the surrounding region, we operate four sites where people experience nature in unique hands-on ways reaching thousands of visitors each year.
Delaware Nature Society aspires to be inclusive multicultural organization that celebrates the rich dimensions of diversity such as race, ethnicity, gender identity, sexual orientation, socio-economic status, age, physical abilities, religious and political beliefs. Diversity creates an awareness of and acknowledges respect for differences and translates into understanding and valuing each other’s perspective. We are committed to building a diverse team and strongly encourage all qualified professionals to apply.
The Market Garden Grower plays an important role in our work bringing an environmental ethic and demonstrated experience in the field to the operation of an intensive organic four-season vegetable production enterprise that exemplifies the synergetic relationship between soil, plant, animal, and consumer. The Market Garden Grower is part of a team charged with implementing a profitable vegetable production program.
Supervisor: Coverdale Farm Market Garden Manager
Sources of Collaboration:
- Core Farm Staff: Farm Manager, Market Garden Manager, Livestock Manager,
Coverdale Farm & Grounds Crew, Harvest Crew
- Delaware Nature Society Facility Manager
- Coverdale Volunteers
- Delaware Nature Society Land Management Department
More About Coverdale Farm Preserve
We recognize that how we grow food has a profound impact on the environment. Coverdale Farm Preserve’s practices weave together conservation, high quality food, and community. Our vision is to build a healthy and resilient ecosystem, increase biodiversity, contribute to our local/regional food system, train the next generation of farmers, and educate our constituents.We recognize that how we grow food has a profound impact on the environment.
- Assist Market Garden Manager in key aspects of an intensive organic four-season production system. Scope of work includes but is not limited to building and improving soil fertility, seed propagation/seedling production, weed, pest and disease control, cover cropping, planting and cultivation, irrigation management, harvesting, washing, packing food for both on and off-farm markets, constructing infrastructure such as caterpillar tunnels and hoop houses, upkeep of production facilities such as wash/pack, cold storage, workshop, and on farm market zone, operate small scale farm equipment. Assist with production planning as requested.
- Support the marketing of farm product through positive maintenance of constituent relationships, contributing to marketing strategies, sales, and economic efficiencies for an intensive organic vegetable operation. Share opportunities for diversified off-farm clients and relevant professional partners.
- Assist farm team members in livestock care, grounds maintenance, and other agricultural tasks as needed.
- Support and participate in farm based community engagement activities such as education programs, farmer training workshops, farm tours, and special events.
- Commitment to and passion for the mission of Delaware Nature Society and Coverdale Farm Preserve
- 2 years of relevant agricultural experience in diversified, intensive organic four-season vegetable farming at production scale, completion of The Market Garden Master class preferred
- Excellent working knowledge of core issues related to regenerative agriculture
- Knowledge of farm equipment operation, maintenance and repair
- Professional maturity and positive interpersonal skills with friendly attitude
- Organized, willing to take initiative, think and act proactively to solve problems and assess priorities, and manage a variety of tasks calmly and effectively
- Excellent public relations and communication skills with an ease and enthusiasm for talking to individuals of all ages
- Ability to participate in hard physical labor for extended periods of time in various weather conditions
- Ability to lift heavy objects and remain physically active throughout the day
- Ability to work as a professional team member in an active, changing environment
- Clean driving record and valid driver license