Opportunity Type: Full-Time, Permanent
Coverdale Farm Preserve, Greenville, DE
Delaware Nature Society has spent over 50 years connecting people to nature with diverse environmental programs and services. As one of the most well respected environmental organizations in the region, we envision a healthy and sustainable environment for all plants, animals, and people living in our region. Our mission is to connect people with the natural world to improve our environment through education, advocacy, and conservation. Working state-wide in Delaware and the surrounding region, we operate four sites where people experience nature in unique hands-on ways reaching thousands of visitors each year.
Delaware Nature Society recognizes that how we grow food has a profound impact on the environment. Coverdale Farm Preserve’s practices weave together conservation, high quality food, and community. Our vision is to build a healthy and resilient ecosystem, increase biodiversity, contribute to our local/regional food system, train the next generation of farmers, and educate our constituents.
The Livestock Manager plays an important role in our work bringing an entrepreneurial spirit to the operation of a multi-species, planned rotational grass-based enterprise that exemplifies the synergetic relationship between soil, plant, animal, and consumer. The Livestock Manager is part of a team charged with implementing a visionary 10-year Master Plan. This full-time year-round core position requires residence on Coverdale Farm Preserve. Compensation includes salary, benefits package, and housing.
- Work directly with Coverdale Farm Preserve Manager, key staff, stakeholders, and partners to develop and implement all aspects of an ~80-acre grass-based multi-species planned grazing enterprise. Scope of work includes but is not limited to the establishment/management of a perennial poly-crop forage system, building & maintaining herds/flocks, upholding production schedules & records, maintaining all livestock infrastructure. Contributing to marketing strategies, sales, and economic efficiencies and actions for all species.
- Supervise 3 – 6 part-time, volunteer, and intern farm and grounds staff. Teach and develop staff skills in regenerative agriculture with emphasis in multi-species planned rotational grazing and animal husbandry.
- Support community engagement program through collaboration with Coverdale Farm Preserve Manager, key staff, stakeholders, and partners to develop, support, and participate in farmer training programs, educational programs, and special events.
- Oversee the maintenance of pristine and safe grounds, fences, and pastures through mowing, line trimming and intentional animal management. Identify building and grounds maintenance needs, reporting needs to supervisor.
- Oversee the operation, service, and repair of farm machinery and vehicles necessary for farm operations.
- Commitment to and passion for the mission of Delaware Nature Society and Coverdale Farm Preserve
- Bachelor’s degree in Agriculture, Animal Science or equivalent
- 5 years of relevant experience in diversified grass-based livestock management /animal husbandry at production scale
- Experience with the process and maintenance of organic certification
- Clear understanding of veterinary care, birth through slaughter responsibilities, and willingness to engage in all stages and situations of animal life cycles
- Excellent working knowledge of core issues related to regenerative agriculture
- Excellent working knowledge of grassland and pasture ecosystems management and of supplementary feeding
- Knowledge of farm equipment operation, maintenance, and repair
- 3 years supervisory & staff management experience
- Professional maturity and positive interpersonal skills with a friendly attitude
- Organized, willing to take initiative, think and act proactively to solve problems and assess priorities, and manage a variety of tasks calmly and effectively
- Excellent public relations and communication skills with ease and enthusiasm for talking to individuals of all ages
- Ability to work outside for extended periods of time in various weather conditions
- Ability to work as a professional team member in an active, changing environment
Salary and Benefits
Compensation includes salary, benefits package, and housing.