Opportunity Type: Seasonal, hourly position
Coverdale Farm Preserve, Greenville, DE
Delaware Nature Society (DelNature) has spent over 50 years connecting people to nature with diverse environmental programs and services. As one of the most well respected environmental organizations in the region, we envision a healthy and sustainable environment for all plants, animals, and people living in our region. Our mission is to connect people with the natural world to improve our environment through education, advocacy, and conservation. Working state-wide in Delaware and the surrounding region, we operate four sites where people experience nature in unique hands-on ways reaching thousands of visitors each year.
Selected candidates will be required to submit to a criminal background check. While we sincerely appreciate all applications, only those candidates selected for interview will be contacted.
DelNature aspires to be inclusive multicultural organization that celebrates the rich dimensions of diversity such as race, ethnicity, gender identity, sexual orientation, socio-economic status, age, physical abilities, religious and political beliefs. Diversity creates an awareness of and acknowledges respect for differences and translates into understanding and valuing each other’s perspective. We are committed to building a diverse team and strongly encourage all qualified professionals to apply.
The CFP Summer Camp Instructor plays an important role in our work through their delivery of developmentally appropriate educational activities for children during the 11-week day camp season that exemplifies the synergetic relationship between soil, plant, animal, and consumer. The Summer Camp Instructor is a seasonal, hourly position compensated for teaching time, program preparation, and training. Position is located at Coverdale Farm Preserve.
- CFP Education Coordinator
- CFP Farmyard Coordinator
Sources of Collaboration:
- Coverdale Farm Core Staff
More About Coverdale Farm Preserve
We recognize that how we grow food has a profound impact on the environment. Coverdale Farm Preserve’s practices weave together conservation, high quality food, and community. Our vision is to build a healthy and resilient ecosystem, increase biodiversity, contribute to our local/regional food system, train the next generation of farmers, and educate our constituents.
- Develop and lead organized outdoor activities during the weeklong summer camp program that are safe, fun, and engaging for children ages 3yrs – 15yrs. Work with supervisors to ensure program meets quality, safety, and site standards. Take leadership for program content preparation and clean up during weeks of instruction. Take leadership for the creation and handling of lesson materials with support of supervisors.
Time Allocated: 70%
- Communicate with parents daily during the camp week, one-week prior to camp commencement through a pre-camp letter, and once at the end of camp week.
Time Allocated: 10%
- Assist supervisors with daily drop-off and pick-up routines and procedures
Time Allocated: 5%
- Communicate daily with site supervisors to ensure program quality and safety standards are met during camp week. Report any incidents, issues, and successes.
Time Allocated: 5%
- Participate in global and site trainings.
Time Allocated: 10%
- Commitment to and passion for the mission of Delaware Nature Society and Coverdale Farm Preserve
- Teaching experience or experience working with children
- Experience with group management in a non-traditional setting
- Excellent public relations and communication skills with an ease and enthusiasm for talking to individuals of all ages
- Professional maturity and positive interpersonal skills with friendly attitude
- Organized, willing to take initiative, think and act proactively to solve problems and assess priorities, and manage a variety of tasks calmly and effectively
- Flexibility and adaptability to work a schedule that meets the needs of the program participants and site
- Punctuality and dependability
- Willingness to learn new skills and share knowledge with others
- Ability to work outside for extended periods of time in various weather conditions
- Ability to work as a professional team member in an active, changing environment
- Ability to maneuver safely over uneven terrain
- Valid Driver’s License
- 21 years of age or older
Salary and Benefits
Salary commensurate with experience.
Applicants Must Submit
- DelNature employment application
- Cover Letter
- Resume with 3 Professional References