Opportunity Type: Part-Time, Seasonal Position
Coverdale Farm Preserve, Greenville, DE
Delaware Nature Society has spent over 50 years connecting people to nature with diverse environmental programs and services. As one of the most well respected environmental organizations in the region, we envision a healthy and sustainable environment for all plants, animals, and people living in our region. Our mission is to connect people with the natural world to improve our environment through education, advocacy, and conservation. Working state-wide in Delaware and the surrounding region, we operate four sites where people experience nature in unique hands-on ways reaching thousands of visitors each year.
Provides seasonal (April – November) support to agricultural and grounds keeping activities on a farm-based education facility of ~20-acres. Assists with set-up, clean-up, and maintenance for site-based events, educational programming, and public visitation as requested.
- Provides weekday & alternating weekend care of education program farm animals: morning & afternoon chores (feeding, watering), cleaning pens and animal barns, moving pastured poultry houses, reporting health concerns to supervisor, and assisting with other animal-related tasks as requested/assigned.
- Operate farm machinery and vehicles necessary for farm operations.
- Obtain feed for livestock.
- Work directly with Supervisor to manage daily animal needs for programs.
- Assist with the maintenance of ¼ acre demonstration raised bed vegetable, flower, and herb teaching garden. Plant, seed, weed, water, amend the soil, mow, and prepare for educational programs.
- Assist with the maintenance of a pristine and safe facility: mowing, weed-eating, general facilities maintenance, monitoring main use area and reporting safety hazards to supervisor.
- Assist core farm staff with tasks as assigned including, but not limited to: haying, event set-up & clean-up, compost management, light construction, facility support, working with volunteers.
Coverdale Farm Preserve Manager
Sources of Collaboration
Work with support/guidance from: Coverdale Farm & Ground Staff as well as CSA Farmer, Education Coordinator, and Delaware Nature Society Facility Manager.
- High School Diploma, working towards or completed: Bachelor’s degree in Agriculture Management, Animal Science or equivalent
- Farm experience in sustainable animal and crop management preferred but not required
- Knowledge of organic gardening of vegetables, flowers, and herbs preferred but not required
- Knowledge of farm equipment operation, maintenance, and repair preferred but not required
- Organized, team-oriented, self-motivated, dedicated
- Experience with light construction
- Valid Driver’s License