Opportunity Type: Full-time
Ashland Nature Center, Hockessin, DE
Delaware Nature Society’s (DelNature) mission is to connect people with the natural world to improve our environment through education, conservation, and advocacy. We envision a healthy and sustainable environment. Founded in 1964, DelNature, a state affiliate for the National Wildlife Federation, is renowned for our educational programming, conservation, and advocacy. We provide the tools for communities to take action and promote the health of the environment through land preservation, wildlife protection, and watershed stewardship.
We manage over 2,000 acres of land, including four nature preserves, and operates four educational sites: Ashland Nature Center, Abbott’s Mill Nature Center, DuPont Environmental Education Center, and Coverdale Farm Preserve. Our organizational priorities are comprised of three pillars of engagement focused on: Working & Natural Lands, Healthy Waters, and Protecting Habitats and Wildlife.
DelNature aspires to be inclusive multicultural organization that celebrates the rich dimensions of diversity and is committed to understanding and addressing where we fall short. Diversity creates an awareness of and acknowledges respect for differences and translates into understanding and valuing of each other’s perspectives. We are committed to building a diverse team and strongly encourage all who are qualified to apply.
The Communications and Outreach Coordinator will be responsible for coordinating a statewide, grassroots, outreach campaign focused on building public support for clean water, conservation and open space funding, increased watershed protections, and protecting the environment, while engaging a variety of diverse communities. The Coordinator will work with the Campaign’s Clean Water Alliance staff to educate people on important clean water and environmental issues in Delaware, and mobilize them to take action.
- Campaign Coordination – Work as member of DelNature Advocacy staff to plan and execute campaign tactics including social media and traditional outreach strategies. Participate in campaign development including supporting the Alliance, tracking data strategy planning, and trainings related to the campaign.
- Grassroots Mobilization – Work with staff and partners to mobilize and train citizens to take action both online and in person. Provide compelling and timely information and engagement opportunities to our Alliance members, members of the public, and campaign supporters.
- Media and Visibility – Work with staff to ensure campaign visibility by leveraging earned media efforts in local, regional and statewide new outlets, through social media, press releases, and during public speaking engagements. Additional tasks will include writing communications, e-newsletters, educational materials, fact sheets, outreach emails, press releases, and related communications.
- Excellent public speaking and written communication skills
- Bachelor’s degree in communication, policy, or related fields
- 1-3 years of professional experience in communications, public policy or related fields
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Well organized with great attention to detail
- Ability to work independently, juggle multiple priorities, and respond quickly to changing priorities/tasks
- Strong social media experience and familiarity with all major platforms
Salary and Benefits
Competitive salary commensurate with experience and benefits.
Applicants Must Submit
- DelNature employment application
- Cover Letter