Opportunity Type: Part-time Contract,15 hours/wk
Ashland Nature Center, Hockessin, DE
Delaware Nature Society (DelNature) has spent over 50 years connecting people to nature with diverse environmental programs and services. As one of the most well respected environmental organizations in the region, we envision a healthy and sustainable environment for all plants, animals, and people living in our region. Our mission is to connect people with the natural world to improve our environment through education, advocacy, and conservation. Working state-wide in Delaware and the surrounding region, we operate four sites where people experience nature in unique hands-on ways reaching thousands of visitors each year.
Selected candidates will be required to submit to a criminal background check. While we sincerely appreciate all applications, only those candidates selected for interview will be contacted.
DelNature aspires to be inclusive multicultural organization that celebrates the rich dimensions of diversity such as race, ethnicity, gender identity, sexual orientation, socio-economic status, age, physical abilities, religious and political beliefs. Diversity creates an awareness of and acknowledges respect for differences and translates into understanding and valuing each other’s perspective. We are committed to building a diverse team and strongly encourage all qualified professionals to apply.
The Clean Water Advocate will be responsible for coordinating with grassroots efforts in Wilmington and throughout New Castle County, as well as conducting outreach with underserved communities. The position will work within these communities as they determine their clean water priorities and help mobilize citizens to take action online, in person, and during special events.
The advocate will work closely with the DelNature Clean Water Campaign staff. For further information about the Clean Water Campaign, visit the Clean Water Campaign website.
- Campaign Coordination – Work with DelNature staff to plan and execute campaign tactics including organizing listening sessions and participating in campaign implementation including supporting the Clean Water Alliance and trainings related to the campaign.
- Grassroots Mobilization – Work with staff and partners to mobilize and train citizens to take action both online and in person. Provide compelling and timely information and engagement opportunities to our Alliance members, members of the public, and campaign supporters, help locate and use story telling on clean water.
- Visibility – Additional tasks may include speaking at events, building messaging efforts, and prioritizing and capturing storytelling opportunities which support the campaign
- Familiar with diversity, equity, inclusion and justice principles
- Excellent public speaking and written communication skills
- Completed or in process of working toward Bachelor’s degree in communication, policy, environmental sciences or related fields
- Strong interpersonal skills and knowledge of grassroots organizing
- Extremely well organized with great attention to detail
- Ability to work within underserved communities, independently, juggle multiple priorities, and respond quickly to changing priorities/tasks
- Strong social media experience a plus
- Availability to work evenings and weekends if needed
Position active until July 30, 2021
Salary and Benefits
Salary commensurate with experience.
Clean Water Advocate – Grassroots Organizer Applicants Must Submit
- Delaware Nature Society employment application
- Cover Letter
- 3 writing examples
- Resume with 3 Professional References