Love nature and meeting new people? Each week, DuPont Environmental Education Center (DEEC) sees hundreds of people of all ages visiting the Wilmington Riverfront. We need your help sharing the wonders of the outdoors and making them feel welcome though this Visitor Center Greeter volunteer position!
The primary role of this position is to ensure a positive experience for visitors to the center and present Delaware Nature Society (DelNature) in a positive way to the community.
The position performs visitor experience tasks including:
- greeting visitors
- interpreting environmental and cultural history
- answering phones
- assisting with visitor programs
The DEEC Visitor Center Greeter volunteer position promotes DelNature’s mission of improving our environment through education, advocacy, and conservation. The person in this position does this by building strong relationships with the communities we serve leading to increased membership, volunteerism, advocacy, program participation and financial support. Training provided.
- Greet visitors and answers inquiries
- Provide guidance on recreation opportunities and points of interest on site and in the area
- Interpret environmental and cultural history for adults, children, and families
- Assist with drop-in visitor activities
- During lulls in visitation, assist site staff with preparation of programs and projects
- Actively introduce visitors to membership and program opportunities
Time Allocated: 80%
- Answer telephone calls and direct inquiries to appropriate staff members
- Answer queries associated with public programs, memberships, public group programs, summer camps as well as any other calls
- Take registrations for programs and sell merchandise
Time Allocated: 20%
- Comfort and willingness to interact and speak with the public spanning wide range of community audiences
- Basic computer skills
Natural science or environmental science knowledge a plus, but not required.
Greeter Volunteer Position Availability
Shifts available Tuesday-Sunday, year round. We request 4 or more hours per week.