Located south of Newark, Delaware, Cooch-Dayett Mills was constructed in 1838 by William Cooch, Jr. as a grist mill to grind wheat and corn into flour. It was operated by waterpower, but in 1884 was remodeled and refitted to include engines for use when water supply was insufficient.
The mill remained in operation until the 1980's and was sold to the State of Delaware under the control of the Division of Historical and Cultural Affairs. When the mill closed it was one of only two operating mills in Delaware.
With programming provided by the Delaware Nature Society, Cooch-Dayett Mills features education programs for families, school classes and the public. The historic roller mills, along with natural features of the site, become the classroom.